- You wake up one morning to a knock at your apartment door. It’s famous singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens. His eyes are wild and his hair dishevelled. “We need to immanentize the eschaton”.
- Needing a moment of prayerful reflection you attend a local chapel. As you sit in a pew, the man in front of you turns around. It’s famous singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens “Remember David Foster-Wallace? Well now he’s back in Pog form!”
- You’re wondering what the word “escheating” means and mentally debating whether to look it up online. Out of nowhere comes famous singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens. He explains exactly what it means, gazes at the horizon longingly and then leaves without another word.
- You meet famous singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens on a night out wearing a back-to-front baseball cap. He keeps talking about “slamming pussy”, his fraternity and “getting smashed”, this is strange because he is a 45 year old man whose songs are famous for their Christian and homoerotic themes.
- You come to the startling revelation that you are famous singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens.
2 thoughts on “Five writing prompts I like”
I love how easy it is to throw this on GPT-3 and get something out of it. For good measure:
You wake up one morning to a knock at your apartment door. It’s famous singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens. His eyes are wild and his hair dishevelled. “We need to immanentize the eschaton”. He says, and you nod in agreement.
“I’m not sure if I can make it”, he admits. “My voice is shot.” You tell him that you’ll be there in five minutes. Five minutes later, you’re sitting on the couch with him as he sings a song about a man who has lost everything but his faith in humanity.
It’s an emotional moment for both of you. You’ve never been so happy to see each other in all your years together. After the song, you discuss what needs to be done.
“It’s very simple”, he says. “You just need to say that you accept the terms of the Sufjan contract.”
You take out your phone and dial your agent’s number. After a few rings, he picks up. “Hello?”
“Hi, is this Jordan?”
“Speaking. Who’s this?”
“It’s…” you look over at Sufjan, who mouths the word “name”.
It really hits that uncanny valley
LikeLiked by 1 person